Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Big Sean - Hall Of Fame (Album Review)



Release Date : August 26, 2013
Label : G.O.O.D Music/Def Jam
 
Things have changed on G.O.O.D Music since last year. Kid Cudi and producer Hit-Boy boy left the label and Ye became a Dad. Big Sean had a nice buzz around this time last year with his contributions on Clique and Mercy from the G.O.O.D Music compilation Cruel Sumner and his Detroit mixtape. Since then, a lot of Sean's music hasn't caught on with the masses like My Last and Dance (A$$) did. Guap was dope but was it really "single" material? but to his credit, Big Sean said he didn't want it to be a single, but Kanye chose to make it one anyway.  Beware featuring Lil Wayne and Jhene Aiko didn't really make a splash either. I've seen the Fire video on MTV Jams a few times but thats about it.

I got a question, did Def Jam or Kanye even try to promote this? Oh yeah and lets not forget about Kendricks verse on Control which had the Internet goin nuts. And that song doesn't even appear on Hall Of Fame, according to reports its because of clearance issues but fans think otherwise. Big Sean raps about he followed his dreams and got signed, on "Nothing Is Stopping You" over Key Wanes violin helmed instrumental with a chopped and screwed hook, he spits I know I'mma get it, I just don't know how/ Heart up on the stage, body in the crowd/ Parents always tried to keep me home/ But I can't get paid from the crib, so I'll be gone 'til we on.

Toyota Music is one of those songs you can get smoke to, now I don't smoke, but as much Hip-Hop that I listen to I can always tell one of those laid back smoking beats. Wiz or even Curren$y would of sounded good on this one. I'm assuming First Chain was recorded before Cudi left the label because he shouts out "G.O.O.D Music forever" at the end. Big Sean was happy to get his first chain, especially after seeing Biggies, Nas and Kanyes. I know alot of people felt the song wasn't as good as it should of been, but I personally enjoyed it. All three of them had nice verses.

Then on Ashley, featuring Miguel, Sean reminisces on the good and bad times he went through with his girl (at the time), with lines like Remember that Christmas? We had a wish list/ We couldn’t afford nothin' but we still get shit/ Ironically those were the times I felt the richest/ All those times that we spent by the pool girl/ Was too broke to even take you to the zoo girl. Other songs to check for are "World Ablaze" featuring James Fauntleroy and Sierra Leone. Big Sean slips up some on Hall Of Fame. His lazy flow on 10 2 10 was terrible, he sounded so out of place on that kind of production. Big Sean do us a favor and never yell on a track again.

 Mona Lisa is cheesy and what the fuck was Big Sean, Nicki and Juicy J thinking on Da Internz produced MILF? Its so bad that you'll actually have to laugh at it. MILF suffers from "good idea bad execution". The hook is cringe worthy with the kids saying "man not mama". I'm not even gonna get on Nicki's verse and Juicy didn't added anything worth mentioning. Throughout Hall Of Fame, Sean rarely switches his flow, which can get annoying after a while. All in all, this album doesn't really feel like a step up from his debut album, he didn't get better or worse, he just stayed the same.

3.5/5

No comments :

Post a Comment