Thursday, July 17, 2014

Kid Ink - My Own Lane (Album Review)


Release Date : January 7, 2014
Label : Tha Alumni Music Group / 88 Classic/ RCA Records


Over the past few years we've seen the West Coast make a comeback to the mainstream. My Own Lane is one of the first hip hop releases of the year, so can Kid Ink set off the year right and create his own lane or will he follow the current lanes out there? The opener,  Hello World is a catchy track. Matter of fact, My Own Lane is filled with catchy radio songs, like the Chris Brown featured Show Me. And the sing songy Tattoo of My Name, is about Kid Ink wanting a girl to get his name tatted on her (It don't matter whether it's the first, last or initial on that ass/ Legs, lower back of that wedding ring finger/ I appreciate you just for representing me).

We Just Came to Party with newcomer August Alsina is another song that's worthy of being a single. My Own lane isn't just female oriented joints through,  Murda featuring Pusha T , is a dope track and Pusha comes through with some sick lines (Mix it up, I'm in the French vanilla white lady/ And got rich selling all this ice ice baby). The albums uptempo sound slows down on No Miracles, which is a introspective song, where Kid Ink shows his versatility. he had the right features too because Elle Varners hook was perfect and MGKs verse was on point as as well.

Overall, My Own Lane is a solid album with some some weak spots on it, Main Chick is a leftover from Chris Browns X mixtape. On No OptionKing Los lyrically leaves kid ink in the dust. Kid Inks verse wasn't terrible but it was average. Rollin was just Ok. The album title doesn't match the album because he actually isn't in his own lane, its a few other rappers in that lane already. At the at of the day, this album is for people who like to go clubbing and have fun and I think Kid Ink will satisfy those who apply. With production from The Futuristics, Danja, DJ Mustard, The Runners, DZL and others, My Own Lane will  definitely keep its targeted audience satisfied .

3.5/5

No comments :

Post a Comment