Saturday, January 10, 2015

Drake - Nothing Was the Same (Album Review)


Release Date : September 24, 2013
Label : OVO Sound, Young Money, Cash Money, Republic Records

*I'm re-posting some of the reviews that had issues with the stats. For instance, this was one of my most popular reviews but it wasn't showing up in the popular posts section, so over the weekend I'll just be re-posting stuff*. Its been close to two years since Drakes last album, Take Care. Nothing Was The Same follows the same path. Drizzy is out to up the ante this time around. Right out the gate, Whitney Houston's classic I Have Nothing gets flipped and reversed on Tuscan Leather as Drake drops three dope verses. The six minute intro has him detailing the fallout he had with Nicki (Not even talkin' to Nicki, communication is breakin' I dropped the ball on some personal shit, I need to embrace it) and these hot for the moment rappers (I'm tired of hearin' 'bout who you checkin' for now Just give it time, we'll see who's still around a decade from now).

Then he uses that "versace" flow on The Language, and even though Birdman tried to deny it, Drake is obviously responding to Kendrick Lamars "Control" verse. Check out some quotes from the song (Fuck any nigga that's talkin' that shit just to get a reaction), ( I got to kill off the weak shit that's got all you niggas excited) and (Talking that shit with your back to me, just know it always get back to me). If yall think otherwise, please let me know. But I can read between the lines.

Drake slows the tempo down on the piano laced From Time. Jhené Aikos hook complements the beat very well. In the second verse, he admits to messing things up with his girl (Girl I felt like we had it all planned out, I guess I fucked up the vision Learnin' the true consequences of my selfish decisions). Wu-Tang Forever, which should of been called "It's Yourz" transitions into Own It. I was cracking the fuck up how mad the fans were when they found out the song wasn't a Tribute song. But they are on the remix which should be coming out soon.

The poppish Hold On, We're Going Home featuring Majid Jordan is a good second single. I rocks with it. More highlights from NWTS are Furthest Thing, Too Much featuring Sampha and Pound Cake / Paris Morton Music 2 featuring Jay-Z, where Drake admitted he threw a swipe at Jay on there when he said "I'm the big homie, they still be tryna lil bro me". Aint nothing wrong with a little friendly competition right? NWTS isn't perfect though and Am I only the one who thought Wu-Tang Forever, Own It, & Connect were kinda weak?

The constant beat changes got a little annoying. And Worst Behavior was fucking terrible. Another thing I wanted to mention is that Drake is a way better rapper than a singer. His singing is good enough just to get by on, but its nowhere near great as some may say. Drizzy should focus less on the haters, how many times can you address the haters? Everybody is not gonna be a fan of your music. All in all, NWTS was a grower, I wasn't really feeling it on first listen, but I like it now and with production from Noah "40" Shebib, Boi-1da, Jake One, Chilly Gonzales, Nineteen85 and many others, Drake continues to make himself a household name.

4/5

No comments :

Post a Comment