Sunday, January 11, 2015

Pusha T - My Name Is My Name (Album Review)



Release Date : October 8, 2013
Label :  G.O.O.D Music/Def Jam Records

After being signed to G.O.O.D Music for about three years, we finally get Pusha T's debut album, My Name Is My Name. That seemed like forever right? But Push did put out the Wrath of Caine mixtape in January of this year, and that mixtape did have some bangers on it like Blocka and Doesn't Matter just to name a few, so its not like he wasn't putting out material and making guest appearances since then. A few weeks he proclaimed he'll have the album of the year, so will Pusha back up his claims on MNIMN? Well, lets get into it. King Push sets the tone for the album, he feels like he can't be stopped, Push raps (This is my time/this is my hour /This is my pain this is my name/ this is my power/ If it's my reign then it's my shower).

Pusha and Ross rap about some real shit, while Ye sings auto-tune in the background on the street anthem Hold On. The guitar heavy Nostelgia, has people debating who had the better verse out of Pusha and Kendrick. To be honest they both killed it, but I can understand if someone gave Kendrick the nod because he was more aggressive. S.N.I.T.C.H. is self explanatory, Pusha Ton talks about one of his close friends that he trusted ended up telling, with lines like. Telling all your cellies how come I ain't sitting next to you/ Yeah see I can read between the lines/So it's awkward when you call and I gotta press 5. And Pharrell plays the informant role on the hook, singing Sorry nigga, I’m tryna come home.

Pain featuring Future is about a year old now, the only thing that's changed is that the beat got tweaked a little bit, but damn it still sounds fresh. Other songs to check for are No Regrets featuring Jeezy & Kevin Cossom and the trunk rattling Suicide featuring Ab-Liva. A few things that I felt were wrong with MNIMN were Let Me Love You featuring Kelly Rowland, where Pusha uses Ma$es late 90s flow, mainly from his hit single What You Want. Its nothing wrong with paying homage, but he really altered his voice to sound like Ma$e, which was kinda odd.

Who I Am featuring 2 Chainz & Big Sean is another automatic skip and generic to say the least. Also, there are too many guest on here, which results in Pusha only having two solo songs. I called Game and other rappers out for doing that on their debut albums, so Push has to get that same treatment. And although he still kills it on his verses, more solo joints would of made the album more stronger. But with production from Pharrell, Don Cannon, Kanye, Hudson Mohawke, No I.D and others, Pusha definitely makes his case for album of the year.

4/5

Related

Clipse - Lord Willin' (Album Review)
Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography (Album Review)  
Rick Ross - Mastermind (Album Review)  


No comments :

Post a Comment